Warm-up with this cold-weather treat
This recipe comes to us from Reiner Marks, who prepared this drink aboard Viking River Cruises ships in Europe many times. Reiner has fond memories of how much our guests enjoyed the drink, which he says 'tastes delicious.' Enjoy!
- Seven ounces premium dark chocolate, grated
- Three cups of low-fat milk
- One tablespoon granulated sugar
- One cup heavy cream, chilled
- One-half teaspoon vanilla paste (or vanilla extract, organic if possible)
- One tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Cocoa powder or chocolate shavings for garnish
Gently heat one cup milk with the grated chocolate. Simmer in a saucepan over low heat until all chocolate has dissolved. Combine the remaining milk and the granulated sugar in another saucepan and whisk until all sugar has dissolved. Gently heat while stirring. Add the chocolate mix to the sugared milk and continue simmering over low heat. Whisk heavy cream and vanilla together on high speed and slowly add the confectioners' sugar until peaks form. Remove hot chocolate from heat and divide into cups. Place a generous dollop of whipped cream on top of each. Garnish with a pinch of cocoa powder or sprinkle with chocolate shavings and serve.
Makes 4-6 servings, depending on mug size.